This honey almond coconut granola is an easy, 6 ingredient breakfast that you and your family will love! Enjoy with milk or yogurt and fresh fruit.
JZ likes to joke about how I rarely make the same recipe twice. Whenever I make a good recipe, he will say “This was really good – too bad you’ll never make it again”. And he has a point. There are just too many recipes, ingredients, and cooking techniques I want to try, so I’m always making new things.
That’s one of the things I love the most about my job as a grocery store dietitian – that it gives me another outlet for my adventurous nature in the kitchen. A good chunk of my job is spent cooking between the classes I teach, my project work for the recipe development team, and sampling events for staff and customers. I don’t hate it – not one bit!
Last week was a particularly cooking intensive week involving testing a chocolate chip cookie recipe, making pumpkin smoothies and pumpkin granola in a class, sampling out a curried pumpkin soup for a pumpkin floor display I put together, and making that soup again along with a roasted squash dish for a class on winter squash. I was pretty cooked out by the end of it!
So when the weekend rolled around and I needed to make a new batch of granola to replenish our stash, I decided to go with an old tried and true favourite that I can make with my eyes closed – a honey almond coconut granola that I first posted on the blog years ago (and that needed a serious photography update). So there JZ, I do cook some things more than once!
This honey almond coconut granola is super easy and made with only 6 ingredients. It’s also lower in sugar than your typical granola and completely dairy free. You can feel free to jazz it up by adding other nuts, seeds, or dried fruit, but I enjoy its simplicity as it is. I like to serve it with plain yogurt and fruit, or sprinkle it over a bowl of oatmeal for a burst of texture. Either way, it won’t last long!
- 2 cups large flake rolled oats
- ⅔ cup chopped raw almonds
- ¼ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- A few pinches of salt
- 2 tbsp canola oil (or coconut oil)
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat your oven to 325°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix together the oats, almonds, coconut and salt.
- In a saucepan over medium low heat, combine the canola oil and honey and stir until mixed. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla, then pour over the dry ingredients.
- Mix the granola well and then spread it evenly over the parchment covered baking sheet. Bake for 15-20 minutes, making sure to take it out and stir it every 5 minutes.
- Let cool and then store in an airtight container for 2-3 weeks.
Do you repeat meals a lot, or are you always trying new recipes like me?