These chocolate flax energy balls are a healthy snack with only 8 ingredients and one bowl required!
I hate how some media outlets make snacking into a negative thing. Articles with tips to stop snacking and headlines like “10 lunches to keep you full until dinner” make you think that eating snacks is unhealthy.
But this is, in the words of Dwight Schrute: false.
Sorry, I’ve been rewatching The Office lately and couldn’t stop myself.
Anyways, the media making people feel guilty for snacking needs to stop! Because it’s normal to get hungry between meals and need a snack. Just as it’s normal to sometimes not be hungry between meals. Basically, there’s no one right way to eat other than this: listening to your body and honouring your hunger cues.
So the next time that between-meal hunger hits, whip up these chocolate flax energy balls. One-bite balls like these are one of my favourite kinds of snacks. They’re easy to transport, easy to eat between tasks or meetings at work, and of course they taste great! Also, you can pack them full of good stuff, like nut butter for healthy fats and flax for a big boost of fibre.
What is your favourite homemade snack? I’d love to hear from you in the comments below or tag me on Instagram at @chelseadallen if you make this recipe!
- ⅓ cup nut butter (I used soy nut butter)
- 2 tbsp honey*
- 1 tbsp milk of your choice
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 1.5 tbsp cocoa powder
- ½ cup + 1 tbsp ground flax
- ¼ cup quick oats**
- 1-2 tbsp mini chocolate chips
- In a medium bowl, mix together the nut butter, honey, milk, and vanilla. Stir in the cocoa powder, ground flax, oats, and chocolate chips.
- Use your hands to roll into balls, then chill in the refrigerator for at least an hour to let harden.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for 1-2 weeks.
**Use certified GF oats if needed