Date bran muffins made with whole wheat flour and flax that are packed with fibre and low in sugar!
I’ve spent 20 minutes trying to start writing this post about muffins, but all I want to write about is my sister’s new Samoyed puppy, Hudson! She picked him up last Saturday, and I’ve been going to visit every weekend since then because I just can’t get enough of him!
He’s the cutest little thing and he’s still in that stage where he’s a little clumsy and unsteady on his feet. We get a lot of laughs out of him, like when he tries to sit but his back legs slide out from under him. And when he covered his face with his paw when we tried taking a picture of him. Although I don’t think he’s camera shy because he can definitely ham it up for photos. Isn’t he adorable?
I keep begging John to get a dog, but I know it’s not the right time for us with our busy schedules and small condo. So for now I’ll settle for being a puppy aunt!
Besides for right now, having a full time job and sporadically posting on this blog keeps me busy enough! I haven’t had much time for it lately but that’s something I want to change in 2017, starting with this whole wheat date bran muffin recipe packed with wheat bran and flax. Skeptics, don’t let this scare you off, I’ve made these muffins in some of my cooking classes and they always get the thumbs up!
These muffins may not be like the typical cakey muffin, but let’s be real, most muffins at the grocery store and coffee shops are more like cupcakes. I love a good cupcake for dessert, but for breakfast and mid-day snacks you want something that won’t give you a sugar crash – like these date bran muffins. These guys are:
- Made with whole wheat flour
- Packed with 5 grams of fibre per muffin thanks to the whole wheat flour, wheat bran, AND flax
- Low in sugar
Despite sounding like they might taste like a mouthful of hay, these bran muffins still taste great. My favourite way to eat them is warmed in the microwave with a pat of butter…healthyish at its finest!
- ¾ cup wheat bran
- ¾ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ cup unpacked brown sugar*
- 1½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¾ cup chopped dates
- ½ cup ground flax
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and grease a muffin tin.
- In a medium sized bowl mix together the wheat bran, whole wheat pastry flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt. Mix together then stir in the chopped dates.
- In a large bowl mix the flax, water, canola oil, buttermilk, applesauce, egg, and vanilla extract.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix gently until just combined. Make sure not to overmix.
- Divide the batter into the muffin tin and bake in the preheated oven for 18-20 minutes. Let cool in the muffin tin for 5 minutes, then remove to a cooling rack to finish cooling.
Looking for more healthy baked good snacks? You might like: