One thing I love about my job as a dietitian in a grocery store setting is how I get to help people discover that vegetables can taste good. And not just good, but actually craveable.
My coworker from out East shared a great analogy with me that I use all the time now. She says “We don’t cook chicken by boiling the heck out of it and expect it to taste good, so why do so many of us give up on vegetables when they don’t taste good cooked this way?”
It’s so true!!!
Luckily my parents did a pretty good job of making vegetables taste good when I was a kid. Broccoli with cheese sauce, green beans with toasted almonds and brown butter, and Provencal tomatoes with herb butter breadcrumbs are just a few of the amazing vegetable dishes I grew up with and that I now make myself.
But I don’t always have time to whip up fancy vegetable dishes for weeknight dinners, so to add flavour in a pinch I rely on three ingredients: garlic plus salt plus fat.
Those three ingredients come to play in this kale salad to help tone down its bitterness and turn it into a delicious salad. To kick it up a notch I also throw in Parmesan cheese, toasted almonds (pine nuts are also good!), and dried cranberries for some sweetness. Vegetables never tasted so good!
- 1 bunch of kale (~10-12 cups)
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3-4 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic
- Heaping ¼ tsp salt
- ¾ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- ⅓ cup sliced toasted almonds
- ⅓ cup dried cranberries
- Chop, wash, and dry your kale.
- In a bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, and garlic.
- In a large bowl, mix together the dressing and kale. Use your hands to massage the dressing into the kale for 3-4 minutes until the leaves start to darken and wilt.
- Sprinkle on the salt and toss to mix. Taste and adjust flavours as needed.
- Add the Parmesan, toasted almonds, and dried cranberries and toss to mix again.