I’m not ready for one of those motivational, here’s-some-advice-from-an-RD-on-achieving-your-New-Years-resolutions type posts because honestly? I spent my first day of the New Year hungover on the couch without even a thought about goals for 2017 crossing my mind. Instead I watched 9 hours of movies with my family and ate Swiss Chalet.
Maybe I’ll get onto some health talk in another post, but today I’m going to keep it simple and take a look back at the last year:
Top 3 Chelsea’s Healthy Kitchen Posts of 2016
3 Favourite Food and Nutrition Trends of 2016
- Avocado toast – I don’t care who says they’re sick of this trend, I will never get tired of the combination of perfectly ripe avocado with a thick slab of crusty bread and a dusting of salt. And I usually top it with an egg for some staying power too.
- Smoothie bowls – I never liked smoothies until I learned you can eat them out of a bowl with toppings!
- Beans – with 2016 being the Year of the Pulses, it was awesome to see beans step into the limelight. This year I especially loved roasted chickpeas, beans in enchiladas, and homemade hummus.
3 Least Favourite Food and Nutrition Trends of 2016
- Turmeric – with the evidence being shaky on the nutrition benefits of turmeric, I haven’t jumped on board with adding it to everything from oatmeal to lattes. I’ll stick to just using it for its flavour in cooking.
- Cashews – purely because of my allergies to nuts, otherwise I’m sure I’d love this trend!
- Allergy testing – it’s so trendy to get tested for allergies these days, but some of the tests used actually aren’t accurate! Read my post about allergy testing if you want to learn more.
Top 3 Restaurant Meals of 2016
- Duck bolognese pasta at Lafayette in NYC
- Mushroom pizza at 7 Enoteca in Oakville
- Avocado toast from St. James Espresso Bar & Eatery in Hamilton
Top 3 Life Highlights of 2016
And that’s wrap on 2016. Here’s to a happy, healthy, and delicious 2017!