Disclaimer: This post was written as a part of the GoodLife Fitness Ambassador program. All opinions expressed are my own.
So how about a job update, eh?
Well, I am loving it. It’s exactly what I’ve always said I want to do ever since entering the dietetic profession: combine nutrition with cooking. I just love that this job takes such a food focus because like I always say: we eat food, not nutrients. People need practical, realistic tips for buying and cooking healthy food in order to eat healthily. So I’m thrilled to be in a job where I can help people do that!
Life is busy though. My days at work right now are filled with planning, meetings, and more planning (and they’ll soon be filled with cooking classes, grocery store tours, and nutrition sessions!). I also have a 45 minute commute to work on most days of the week (I work out of two grocery stores in two different cities), making my work day more like 9.5 hours rather than 8. And when you add regular 6 am workouts at GoodLife Fitness with my boyfriend, you can see why I have little free time left!
Needless to say, food prep has been a life saver. I tend to spend several hours in the kitchen on one of my days off cooking up enough food to cover lunches and dinners for the week. When I was browsing for lunch ideas the other day I remembered this black bean and mango quinoa salad that I posted here years ago. That was in the dinosaur years of this blog though, so I decided to dust off the recipe and polish it up for reposting.
After making it again, this black bean and mango quinoa salad has renewed itself as one of my favourite recipes. It has that sweet and salty combination going on with the mango and feta, which I just love (please ignore the fact that there is no feta in these pictures – I forgot to add it and was far too lazy to do a reshoot)! Also I’m really digging its summer vibes. It would be perfect for summer picnics and barbecues. Ahhh just saying that is making me anxious. Summer, hurry up and get here sooner please?
- ¾ cup dry quinoa
- 15 oz can black beans
- ½ barely ripe mango, diced
- ⅔ cup diced cucumber
- ½ red pepper, diced
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- 5-6 tsp fresh lime juice
- 1.5 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp cumin
- ⅛ tsp salt or more to taste
- Rinse the quinoa in a sieve, then combine with 1.5 cups cold water in a small pot with a lid. Bring to a boil then simmer covered for about 12-15 minutes. Once it's done, fluff with a fork and let cool completely (at least 1 hour).
- Combine the quinoa with the black beans, mango, cucumber, red pepper, cherry tomatoes, scallions, cilantro, and feta cheese.
- In a small dish whisk together the olive oil, lime juice, cumin, and salt. Add to the quinoa salad and stir well before serving.
What is something you used to make all the time that you haven’t made in a while?