It’s funny how September seems to mark the beginning of fall. It’s not even officially fall, not to mention the weather is often still hot and sunny throughout this month. Yet the second September 1st hits, everyone starts going gaga for fall. Pumpkin spice lattes, pumpkin baked goods, shopping for fall boots and sweaters… it’s all over social media!
Meanwhile I’m the weirdo still wearing summer dresses and hanging onto summer produce for dear life. I love pumpkin as much as the next person, but I’ve got all fall and winter to enjoy it. For now I’m still buying late summer produce like tomatoes, eggplant, and zucchini until the crops are done!
This zucchini salad with Parmesan and basil is a recreation of a dish I had at a restaurant in London and could not get out of my mind. It was the best zucchini dish I’ve ever had, yet it was surprisingly simple. Which is a good thing because it was easy for me to make at home, and therefore share with you!
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1.5 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp salt + more to taste
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- ⅓ cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- Handful of rocket
- Thinly slice the zucchini with a mandoline. Toss with olive oil and salt, then combine with the basil, Parmesan cheese, and rocket. Add more salt to taste if necessary.
- This salad is best if it's left to sit for 15 minutes before serving to let the flavours combine; however it doesn't keep well for more than 4-5 hours because the zucchini goes soggy if left for this long!
Have you jumped into fall yet, or are you still hanging onto summer?