This tempeh chili is a hearty meatless dinner that’s vegan and gluten free – and healthy too!
I think I need to rename my blog “Chelsea’s Chili Kitchen”.
I always aim to post a variety of different recipes, but over the years I just keep on coming back to chili. First there was my adaptation of my mom’s white bean and chicken chili. And while I wouldn’t dare to call it better than my mom’s, I will say that my dad will only eat my version… I’m just sayin’!
Next I posted my basic vegan chili that’s another staple for me in the winter months. I still make this recipe, although these days I tend to omit the mushrooms and use a second can of diced tomatoes instead of the tomato sauce.
And then there was my turkey, black bean, and sweet potato chili, which is easily my favourite of the three!
But now I think I have a new favourite: this vegan tempeh chili. It’s entirely plant-based, but the tempeh gives it such a heartiness that you will almost think it contains meat. It’s been the perfect warming dinner for these past few chilly weeks!
- 1.5 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 large green pepper, diced
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 250 g package of plain tempeh, crumbled
- 3 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- ¾ cub water or vegetable broth
- 2 796-ml cans of diced tomatoes
- 540 ml can of kidney beans
- 1 cup frozen corn
- Salt to taste
- In a large pot, heat up the olive oil over medium heat. Lower heat and add diced onion, letting it cook for 2-3 minutes before adding the green pepper and garlic.
- Continue cooking over low heat (so as not to burn the garlic) until green pepper has softened, then add the block of crumbled tempeh (it should be crumbled to resemble ground meat) and spices.
- Stir to coat everything in the spices and then cook for 2-3 minutes to bring out the flavours of the spices.
- Pour in the water or vegetable broth, diced tomatoes, beans, and corn. Bring to a boil, then simmer over low heat for 20-30 minutes or longer. Add salt to taste.
Bloggers: have you posted multiple variations of any dishes?
What’s your favourite kind of chili?
This tempeh chili recipe is linked up with Healthy Vegan Fridays over at Hello Veggy’s blog. Go check it out for tons of other vegan recipes made by other bloggers!