This internship is flying by! I can’t believe I’m already done my outpatient rotation at the family health practice. I’m a bit sad to be done actually – I enjoyed it so much, and I’m pretty sure I can see myself working in a similar job in the future. Life there was unpredictable though. Sometimes 3/4 of our patients for the day were no shows. Other times we were booked back to back without a break until lunch.
So I’ve learned that I always need to have quick snacks on hand in case my day turns out like that. Forget yogurt or apples – those take too long to eat! I need something I can shove in my mouth between patients.
And so these energy balls were born. With tons of healthy fats from the coconut, flaxseed, hemp seeds, and almond butter, and an extra boost of protein from protein powder, they’re the perfect snack to tide you over on the go!
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ¼ cup shredded coconut
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 2 tbsp vanilla lucuma Epic Protein (or another vanilla protein powder)
- 1.5 tbsp hemp seeds
- ¼ cup dried blueberries
- ¼ cup natural almond butter
- 2-3 tbsp agave nectar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- In a large bowl combine the oats, coconut, flaxseed, protein powder, hemp seeds and blueberries, and stir.
- Then add the almond butter, agave, and vanilla and stir until it it is evenly mixed.
- Use your hands to form the balls, packing them tightly. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for 1-2 weeks.
This week I get a bit of a breather because I’m on research week, so my days consist of just inputting our research study data into massive Excel spreadsheets. Sounds thrilling, right? Monday I’m starting a new rotation at a continuing care hospital though, and I’ll be back to my busy days. Guess I’ll need to whip up another batch of these over the weekend!
What’s your favourite fast snack?
This post is linked up to Healthy Vegan Fridays over at Hello Veggy’s blog. Hop on over there to check out all the other great recipes!
Looking for more energy ball recipes? You might like these: