So it’s Wednesday today, which means two things:
1. It’s half way through the week.
2. It’s the day before my 3 days of madness start, involving a paper, a presentation, and an exam.
As a busy student, my best tactic for these hectic weeks is meal prep on weekends. This past Sunday I got ready for the week by making a big batch of one of my favourite salads so that I can have leftovers for the next few days. Between this and some leftover chili I have in the fridge, I probably won’t have to cook at all, which means more time for studying!
This arugula, beet, and chicken quinoa salad is one of my favourite batch meals to make because it has all the components of a healthy meal: protein, vegetables, and whole grains! And most importantly, it’s delicious. The tangy feta is the perfect complement for the sweetness of the beets and balsamic vinegar, but I’ve also tried it with other cheeses like goats cheese, Applewood smoked cheddar, and gouda – and those all work just as well. Sometimes I’ll also throw in parsley, dried cranberries, or toasted almonds. The beauty of this salad is that it’s so easy to play around with and switch up the flavours!
- 4 cups cooked quinoa
- 3 grilled or baked boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 10-12 small roasted and diced beets
- 6 cups arugula
- ½ cup feta cheese
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ cup aged balsamic vinegar*
- ½ tsp Dijon mustard
- Optional: ½ cup chopped parsley, ¼ cup chopped almonds
- In a small bowl combine the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, mustard, and optional honey. Whisk and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl add the cooked quinoa, diced chicken breasts, diced beets, arugula and feta cheese (note: this salad tastes better if all the items are precooked and cooled ahead of time).
- Add the dressing and stir to combine.
And now I’ve got to get back to studying, so I hope you all have a great Wednesday!
Favourite way to use quinoa?