So that beautiful weather we got last week that allowed me to go for my first outdoor run of the season? Gone. It’s been replaced by wind, chill, and snow. I’m not impressed!
But this black bean and sweet potato soup I whipped up over the weekend makes the crappy weather slightly more tolerable. It’s warm, hearty, and so filling! Did I mention it’s vegan and chock full of protein too?
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium cooking onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (5-6 cups chopped)
- 2 cans (19-oz each) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups salt-free vegetable stock
- ¼ tsp salt, or more to taste
- Avocado, Greek yogurt, lime wedges, and/or cilantro for serving
- In a large soup pot, heat up the olive oil and add the chopped onion. Reduce heat to medium low and saute for about 5 minutes, or until translucent. Add the garlic and spices, and continue to cook for 1 minute.
- Then add the chopped sweet potato, 1 can of beans, and vegetable stock. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover with a lid, and let simmer for about 20 minutes or until the sweet potato is soft.
- Meanwhile puree the other can of black beans in a food processor with a bit of water to help it blend. Then stir the puree into the soup and continue to cook until done.
- Serve with diced avocado, plain Greek yogurt, lime wedges and/or cilantro.
What’s your favourite kind of soup?